I decided this week to take the code back to basics; stripping it back to just the video sources.
The previous code successfully placed the videos on top of each other, and had made a connection to the viewers webcam – but what about a show/hide function? This is something I’m keen to explore as part of the video, where the videos begin hidden from view and are made available throughout the primary video.
I haven’t yet found a function to allow the secondary videos to appear after a set time, and so I’ve had a quick look at an alternative method: buttons.
In order to make this make sense aesthetically, I’ve put the videos into a HTML table. The primary video is on a colspan, while the others are in a single row across three columns. Within those cells, are a button tag, and the video div.
It didn’t take long to create a function that would show/hide a div from the click of a button, and translating it for use in this table was easy. By repeating the code, with slight variants to the id names, the code worked for all three additional videos.
With a layout that is easier to test, I’ll now continue with finding a function which allows the videos, or buttons to appear after a set time. If it is the case that I can only make the buttons appear, then it would be appropriate for the videos to be hidden by default – opposite to the current state where they are shown by default.
While the code continues to develop, I have kept up with efforts in arranging interviews. While some academics I had hoped to speak to have had to decline, and others postponed, I have managed to secure an interview with a representative from a privacy rights group. His interview will be only days after a former spy-chief, and so follow-up questions could become quite interesting. Of course, I’ll need to arrange more, and so I haven’t stopped reaching out to other relevant individuals for comment.
I have also made progress on the video script; with an additional storyline for the additional content – should it be possible to make them appear at different times during the primary video playback.
One thing that I have learned so far, is that producing a coded video experience takes time – a point that will count towards my thesis question of whether such format is appropriate for news (where news has a so-called ‘use-by date’ and has a requirement of timely production). Even if the coded experience can’t be completed in time, or doesn’t function as I plan for it to, I am still going to put the content into a second version using online service Thinglink.
From previous use of the service, I know that Thinglink can provide a similar, but limited, experience to the one I hope to create. The second timeline would be useful, if not for my coded format, but for the Thinglink experience as well.
I hope that by producing the two products, I can compare the aesthetically pleasant Thinglink experience to the specifically formatted coded experience – with functionality and production time amongst the points of comparison.