On the 8th November, I directed two live broadcasts for Birmingham Eastside, at 11pm and 2am, using my experience from City OnAir to ensure they run smoothly. I was based in the gallery, but communicating with the newsroom to establish breakaways for breaking news segments.
Our content reached thousands of people; our tweets had over 17,000 impressions and Facebook updates reached over 2,000 impressions. Our live streams reached nearly five hundred people, and the Birmingham Eastside website had over 1,000 views.
I worked with a group of students across the MA Media suite at BCU, including Online Journalism, International Broadcast Journalism, and Television Production, as well as PgDip Broadcast Journalism students.
In the lead up to the broadcast, I have been responsible for the logistics and technical preparation.
This has included:
- Writing the risk assessment,
- Arranging studio/facility and equipment hire,
- Liaised with the university press office,
- Delegating technical job roles between those taking part,
- Scheduling the broadcasts and working out the running order for them,
- Ordering props and studio decorations,
- Purchasing necessary licences to broadcast live, and
- Overseeing the production of pre-recorded videos.
Dave Harte (@daveharte) November 09, 2016
Please note: this page was originally published in October, but kept updated before and after the event took place.