In early May, the West Midlands voted for its first combined Mayor to oversee spending on a consolidated transport budget and a 30 year 1.1 billion pound investment fund, and to be responsibility for a compulsory purchase power over housing and planning.
I used the election as a subject for a research project into the effectiveness of publishing news to Instagram. My findings can be read I need a series of blog posts on this website.
- Covering an election on Instagram - Following the research I conducted through my News on Instagram posts, I reported on the election for Mayor of the West Midlands Combined Authority using predominantly mobile journalism techniques, and publishing only to Instagram. What I found, was that there was a definite need to prepare everything in advance. I started the election coverage with some simple carousel […]
- What I’ve learned about publishing news to Instagram - Research. A struggling engagement with young people has resulted in news organisations experimenting with their use of social media as a way of addressing a widening gap in their audience. In a series of blog posts, I have examined the use of Instagram as a platform for distributing news content. I found some common trends and good practices. The […]
- Interview: BBC News social media editor Mark Frankel talks Instagram - Mark Frankel is the social media editor of BBC News. He managed a team of audience engagement producers and writers who post regular content to Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and Instagram. I’m interested in Instagram, and why the BBC is so keen to explore this platform for news. 90% of Instagram’s users are under 35, and with 600 million of […]
- Publishing news with Instagram’s latest carousel feature - Since its introduction last week, Instagram’s newest feature serves new and exciting opportunities for news organisations. In a move that now allows for up to 10 pictures and/or videos to be shared within a single post, or carousel, news organisations can utilise the techniques they learned for Stories to create permanent news content. I took […]
- Instagram’s latest feature opens up opportunity for news content - Tonight Instagram revealed a new feature that allows its users to share up to 10 pictures and videos within a single post. Like Stories, but as a permanent post. The idea is that you can swipe from left to right between the pictures, or videos. I tried it for myself, using my personal account to […]
- Using Instagram Stories for news content - Instagram has two ways of publishing content: its timeline, and through its Stories feature. Stories were introduced in August last year and unlike timeline pictures and video, are only available to view for up to 24 hours after posting. It’s very similar to Snapchat, and designed so “you don’t have to worry about overposting”. More recently, Stories have developed to […]
- Data visualisations on Instagram - Data is a valuable product for journalists to not only source news stories, but to prove and disprove beliefs. However data on its own is unattractive, and isn’t interesting to a general audience. Instead, visualisations capture the meaning of data, and should present it in such a way that provides understanding, while also making it […]
- How to create news video for Instagram - In my last blog post, I took a look at some good examples of using video for news in social media. But how are some of these made? I’ve put together a quick guide for creating a video, specifically for Instagram using Final Cut Pro X. Despite Instagram now allowing portrait and landscape videos on their timeline, this […]
- Ten ways to use video for news on social media - Here are ten examples of ways news publishers are using video in social media. 1. BBC News: Instagram The official BBC News Instagram profile has a range of video and still-picture content. This post, from the 26th January 2017, is about Donald Trump saying “torture ‘absolutely works’ during his first one-on-one interview as president. The use of […]